| It has become apparent that an internal war has begun regarding the state of modern Ufology. Nothing really new, but the players are changing so rapidly, that common sense seems to have become a casualty.
How is Ufology supposed to be defined? I cannot speak for others, but I think it is a field of study involving manufactured craft, that transcends our current technological development. Thus, cryptoaeronautics, or aircraft of unknown origin. Ufology began as a fortean subject, but now stands on its own and separate in relation to crop circles, ghosts, animal mutilation, sky falls, etc.
What, then, is a Ufologist? Again, I cannot speak for others, but I think a Ufologist is a person who has studied the phenomena and its history, then proceeds one step further by actually doing field research regarding specific cases or the subject in general to keep the knowledge base current. Thus, there are a few researchers who make up the core of ufological study. The vast majority of people use the research from the few to bring the subject to public forums. Some people do well in bringing the subject to public forums, but the majority do not, due to wild speculation and belief systems.
What do we really know about UFOs? A massive amount actually, but no real answers that contribute to a consensus. The subject itself provides for wild speculation and theories by those interested in the subject, but the real Ufologist knows the following to be accurate:
1. Origin of UFOs remain, at this time, unknown. Everything regarding possible origin is speculative at this point and no definitive answer is yet available.
2. How such objects are propelled is unknown and speculative.
3. There is no definitive proof that such devices carry sentient alien beings. However, research indicate that these objects appear to be intelligently controlled.
4. Some of these objects leave behind traces of their existence and interact with people of all ages, incomes, educational attainment, professions, etc. The proposition that all people who see UFOs are mentally impaired is factually incorrect.
5. Of the thousands of worldwide reports of UFO sightings, only a small percentage appear to be of manufactured origin that exceed our current technological development. These objects, thoughout recorded history, have shown that the technology of these devices change in relation to our technological development.
6. Ufology, by its very nature, lends to scientific investigation by developing new techniques.
Is it possible for Ufology to overcome the riddle factor and become a science unto itself? Yes. But only to a core group of researchers at this point because Ufology has reached the level it needs to be taught and specialities formed. If Ufology is not taught, continuation of rampant misinformation will continue to apply and Ufology will remain a chaotic field of study. Anyone who studies Ufology critically, takes no theory as an absolute.
So, who are the best Ufologists researching today? Those who maintain the databases, uncovers new documentation, gathers unbiased reports, maintains trace evidence and brings the history of the subject to the public arenas. There are hundreds of competent Ufologists working today. Unfortunately, they are outnumbered by the tens of thousands of people who don’t have a clue to what they are doing, but bring their dog and pony shows (belief systems) for permanent public display.